Leaders Coordinate Responses to Financial Crisis, Human Security and Social Equity
Issued by the APEC Secretariat
The 16th annual APEC Economic Leaders’ Meeting (22 – 23 November) is the culmination of the actions, discussions and endorsements that have taken place throughout 2008, hosted by
Heads of member governments will receive recommendations from Ministers, including those responsible for Finance, Trade and Structural Reform. These recommendations are likely to address:
- Coordinated long- and short-term responses to the current financial crisis;
- Collaborative efforts to progress a regional-wide free trade agreement;
- Human security initiatives, including emergency preparedness and response;
- Structural reform;
- Stimulation of growth among small to medium and micro-enterprises; and
- Improving food security in the Asia-Pacific region.
These are intended to inform collective policy initiatives among leaders and, ultimately, to strengthen economic resilience and expand trade opportunities throughout the region.
Prior to the Leaders’ Meeting, related events to be held in
- APEC Concluding Senior Officials’ Meeting, 16 – 17 November
- APEC Business Advisory Council (ABAC), 18 – 20 November
- APEC Ministers’ Meeting, 19 – 20 November
- APEC CEO Summit, 20 – 22 November
The CEO Summit will feature presentations by the world’s most renowned leaders.
For more information, or to schedule an interview with APEC Secretariat Executive Director, Ambassador Juan C. Capuñay, following the APEC Leaders’ Meeting, contact:
Carolyn Williams at email@example.com or at (51) 8927 4393 in
Anita Douglas at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (65) 9172 6427 in