Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Robbing our children of their childhood

Young people enjoying the new basketball court at Gerehu Stage Two yesterday




I recently wrote in this blog about new recreational facilities sprouting up all over Port Moresby, thanks to the very visionary leadership of National Capital District Governor Powes Parkop.
For instance, at Gerehu Stage Two where I live, the first of two new basketball courts went up at the weekend, meaning I can take my kids to the courts and teach them how to play.
Towards the end of last year, playground facilities were set up, bringing so much joy and enjoyment to children in the neighborhood.
I like nothing better than a glorious sunny arvo when I can take my kids for a leisurely stroll in the park and watch them swing, slide, climb on the monkey bar or roll on the sand, while I take pictures of them or lie down on the grass and read.
It is quite ironic that while Mr Parkop and the NCD Commission are spending a lot of money on such facilities, politicians like Deputy Prime Minister Sir Puka Temu and certain business houses are doing their best to take them away from our children.
They must remember that such facilities also keep our young people occupied and away from a life of alcohol, drugs, and juvenile delinquency.

2 comments:

  1. I couldnt agree more. Now if you can create a group, eg "Friends of Gerehu", and keep the parks clean or even improve them by involving the youth of the area. Try not to ban things but be proactive and support those who want to do (almost) anything. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your support Nancy. M

    ReplyDelete