Thursday, October 23, 2014

Commissioner Vaki directs immediate action on policemen consuming alcohol in uniform

Commissioner of Police Geoffrey Vaki has directed that members of the Special Services Division (SSD) pictured in uniform with alcohol in the Drum column of the Post-Courier newspaper on Tuesday be immediately identified and suspended from duty.
Furthermore, Commissioner Vaki has directed that the members be served Serious Disciplinary Offence Report (SDOR) and transferred out of SSD forthwith.
These actions are to be taken by Friday October 24, Commissioner Vaki directed in a minute to Acting Deputy Commissioner Operations Jim Andrews.
Vaki said it appears that Director SSD is not coming down hard on ill-discipline by SSD members nationwide despite his earlier directive for all commanders, provincial police commanders and the two metropolitan superintendents in Lae and Port Moresby to address ethical, dress and grooming standards and discipline.
Vaki said the report on the Drum column is "a testimony to a total decline in firm command and control".
"Contrary to what critics have been saying, I am taking a zero tolerance attitude to corrupt, abusive and ill-disciplined policemen or women. Enough is enough, as I have stated.
"Whilst not making any excuses, I ask that critics be more reasonable and constructive as I have been in the job only five months. Prior to my appointment and for five years I was fighting my case in the National Court.
"Anyone who knows me know that I am very passionate about discipline. I will hold all commissioned officers as well as non-commissioned officers accountable for the actions of their subordinates."

No comments:

Post a Comment