PRIME Minister Hon. James Marape yesterday announced that the country has recorded its second COVID-19 case.
The Prime Minister said the second case was a 40-year-old female from the East New Britain Province, who developed a cough on March 23 and was admitted to the Nonga Hospital isolation ward three days later and treated for severe respiratory illness.
The patient has been isolated and quarantined.
An additional two persons under investigation from Nonga have tested negative.
The Prime Minister said the COVID-19 Rapid Response Team was now working on contact tracing.
Everyone who has come into contact with the confirmed case will be immediately isolated and tested as well.
A team of medical experts id being deployed to ENB to deal with contact tracing, isolation and treatment.
The Prime Minister also announced that the Controller of the State of Emergency and Police Commissioner, David Manning, had made a decision to lock down the entire East New Britain Province for the next 21 days.
Commercial flights in and out of East New Britain are restricted.
Strict measures are being taken to stop the spread of COVID-19 in the East New Britain Province and the country as well.
The Prime Minister called upon people of PNG to remain calm and further asked for their support and understanding.
He said, “These measures may be seen as an inconvenience to you but they have been put in place to protect you and your family."
The Prime Minister said the Government was diligently working towards ensuring that its citizens were protected.
He also received reports that a Papua New Guinean had contracted the coronavirus in Laos.
He said contact tracing wa also being undertaken for this person as well.
Prime Minister Marape encouraged Papua New Guineans to continue to faithfully observe and practice health messages that had been given out.
“Wash your hands; do not touch your face; cough into your elbow; maintain physical distancing at all times and lastly please stay home,” Prime Minister Marape said.