Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Touched by a Kokoda angel


By MALUM NALU

The heartbreaking loss of an expectant young Kokoda woman in 2008 turns into a blessing for all of Kokoda on the inaugural Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels Day to be held there tomorrow.
The Kokoda ambulance at St John’s Ambulance yard at Rainbow in Port Moresby.-Picture by JEFF KEOUGH
Indilah Sakiki, from Waju village in Kokoda, died of cerebral malaria on July 22, 2008 and because of the transport difficulties in getting her to hospital.
Her death so touched Australian Jeff Keough, a good mate and former workmate of her husband Daniel Sakiki, that he started an organisation called Kokoda Angels to raise funds for an ambulance in memory of Indilah Sakiki for the people of Kokoda.
For the last two years, he has been single-handedly approaching people and organisations in Australia to help the people of Kokoda, the start of the famous Kokoda Track which saved Australia during World War 11.
Such has been the response that Keough has been able to bring a fully-kitted Toyota Landcruiser ambulance, the first of its kind in the country, into Port Moresby.
He was planning to fly into it into Kokoda today by helicopter, in time for Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels Day celebrations, however, a last-minute change of plans means the ambulance will be shipped into Popondetta on Nov 9 and then driven to Kokoda.
“Kokoda Angels started when my friend’s wife died of malaria seven months into her pregnancy,” Keough, who is married to a Papua New Guinean woman, told me.
“Because there was no vehicle in that area, I started a charity to raise support and get an ambulance vehicle and medical assistance.
“It’s been two years now since it was started.
“The vehicle has been here in Port Moresby, at St John’s Ambulance, for three months now, where we’ve been preparing it for Kokoda as well as trying to organise transport.”
Front view of the Kokoda ambulance
Keough said the ambulance would not have been possible without the help of Sandvik Mining (which donated the vehicle), Penrite, Kumho Tyres, Alltrac 4WD, Century Batteries, Roof Rack City, Terrain Tamer, Speedy Wheels, Variety Masters, Consort Shipping, SBS Electrical, St John’s Ambulance and South Australian premier Mike Rann.
“It will be used to support the 15 aids posts in ward 10, Kokoda,” he said.
“We’re working together with Kokoda Foundation, who have helped with supply of medical kits and we’ll be helping to transport patients.
“The truck is a mining service vehicle so it’s extra heavy-duty, has lock-up cabinets and we’ve put beds and canopy at the back for patients.
“It’s been fitted with a bulbar and winch, radio, spot lights and siren.”
Keough is no newcomer to PNG, having assisted PNG as a volunteer and aid worker during the 1994 volcanic eruptions in Rabaul, 1999 El Nino-induced drought, 1998 Aitape tsunami, 2007 Northern province cyclone and many others.
He asked people who were willing to assist Kokoda Angels to contact him on mobile 73368478 or visit its website http://www.kokodaangels.com.

‘Pink Ladies’ of Lae raise K11, 000 for cancer ward


By MALUM NALU

Lae Golf Club lady members last Saturday hosted a 'Pink Walk' to raise funds for the cancer ward at Angau Hospital.
The ‘Pink Ladies’ and children of Lae Golf Club after their fundraising walk which netted K11,000 for Angau Hospital’s cancer ward last Saturday.-Pictures by PETER BOYD
 With entry fees and business houses wholeheartedly supporting the event a total of K11, 000 was raised.
 Club captain Peter Boyd said a total 45 children and 30 adults – all dressed in pink – walked the course on a fine and sunny Lae day.
 “After the walk, a senior nurse from the cancer ward, Sr Doreen Pepi,  explained the symptoms and causes of cancer and stressed the importance of early detection,” he said.
 “Several of the ladies on the walk had faced cancer previously.
 “These ladies talked through there own experiences of battling this disease and it was an extremely moving to listen to these brave women.
 “The walk will become an annual event.”
 The walk was outstanding in that it was organised by an all-national women crew from the Lae Golf Club.

National Capital District receives Kingal

 Hundreds of Christians, tribesmen and women and curious members of the public turned up at the Jackson Airport yesterday afternoon to receive the remains of the late evangelist, Pastor Joseph Kingal, The National reports.
The casket was accompanied from Lae by the late pastor’s wife Susan and their children, friends and relatives and members of the Joseph Kingal Ministry. Kingal was killed in a vehicle accident at Zumim Bridge in Morobe. 

Today’s funeral service will be held at 1pm at the Assemblies of God Conner Stone church in Gordon.-Nationalpics by EKAR KEAPU

Rambi removed

Change in cabinet hits highlands MPs

THE Highlands faction of the National Alliance party suffered a blow yesterday when Prime Minister Sir Michael Somare “demoted” Internal Security Minister Sani Rambi, The National reports.
The prime minister called a meeting of cabinet ministers and announced he was removing Rambi as internal security minister. He moved Rambi to labour and industrial relations and switched Mark Maipakai to internal security.
The move created a murmur among MPs from the highlands region.
Sources told The National last night that Deputy Prime Minister Don Polye, who is deputy leader NA in charge of highlands region, was not consulted about the move.
A number of cabinet ministers contacted last night confirmed the change.
“It is the prerogative of the prime minister to make changes in cabinet,” a minister said when contacted last night.
The changes were unclear but sources said the police force would also see major changes to its hierarchy.
The move would trigger political ripples in the lead-up to the parliament sitting in two weeks, in which Speaker Jeffery Nape was certain to allow a notice on a vote of no-confidence in the prime minister on the floor of parliament.
There were concerns among government circles last night that such an action could provide the opening the opposition needed to talk to factions within government to give credibility to its move to oust the government.
Only last week, Rambi and Police Commissioner Gari Baki brought a submission to cabinet to secure K10 million to urgently fund police operations for the security of the PNG LNG project.
It was said the urgent submission was necessary because of threats by investors and companies involved in the LNG project to pull out due to law and order issues.
It was not clear if this would be followed through by Maipakai.
Rambi is the MP for Mul-Baiyer in the Western Highlands.
Together with Governor Tom Olga and Polye, they form the core of the strong presence of the National Alliance in the highlands region.
But, Rambi had, in the past, been accused of conflicts of interest where his hire car company had benefited financially from the presence and operations of police in the highlands region.
Rambi had maintained that he never used his position to benefit his vehicle hire company.


Prime Minister slams bid for super hospital

PRIME Minister Sir Michael Somare has slammed the proposed new K500 million super hospital being pushed by Health Minister Sasa Zibe, The National reports.
The hospital has the backing of Zibe and Planning Minister Paul Tiensten.
But the prime minister had directed that no more public funds be used to pay for the Pacific Medical Centre project.
He directed Zibe to redirect any funds committed to improving the provision of current public health services.
The proposed hospital had become political and a topic of debate among respected figures in the medical fraternity.
It was suggested in a paid newspaper advertisement last Friday that the prime minister had met and spoke to former US president Bill Clinton about the project in New York last year and both men were keen to see it get off the ground.
But, Sir Michael said in an Oct 20, 2010, letter to Zibe that he was not convinced about the usefulness of the project.
“The irony of the whole issue is that the national government cannot even maintain, at a respectable and physical level, the current hospitals and health facilities,” the prime minister stated in the letter.
“This is compounded by the fact that the national government cannot effectively deliver basic health services, let alone guarantee the supply of basic drugs to the public.
“And, yet, we want to build a new 300-bed international hospital?”
The prime minister said referral hospitals, provincial hospitals, district health centres and medical posts were currently in shameful dilapidated states.
“Basic drugs cannot be assured and delivered to these hospitals and health institutions and, yet, the national government wants to spend millions of kina on this project that has questionable value to our general populace.
“I am not convinced of the usefulness of this Pacific Medical Centre project at this stage.”
He said his office had gone through the submission and had found that the accompanying documents were “sugar coated” with the intention to deceive cabinet members to support the project.
He said many local and US/global partners, mentioned in the accompanying documentation as supporting the project, had since disclaimed their interests.

Villagers shut airport

THE Tari Airport was yesterday shut down by villagers who are demanding K17 million in compensation for the land the airstrip is on, The National reports.
The villagers took over the airfield yesterday and issued demands for the Civil Aviation Authority, airlines and companies involved in the PNG LNG project not to use the airstrip.
Planes flying into the airstrip were diverted elsewhere.
A Twin-Otter belonging to Airlines PNG landed with some goods for the LNG project site.
A Tari town resident said villagers entered the airstrip and told the pilot of the aircraft that he was not to return again.
Passengers with tickets for an Air Niugini flight to Port Moresby were asked to go to Mt Hagen or Mendi to rebook.
An upgrade of the airport funded by the Southern Highlands government has also been halted.
Deputy Prime Minister Don Polye last night expressed concern about the forced closure of the airstrip.
“Such behaviour of the villagers is always a concern for the government.
“Closing the airstrip will not solve any problems.
“If they have a compensation claim, they should bring it through the proper channel.
“If it is genuine, it will be given due attention.
“The government will always try to address land issues through the proper channel and the villagers and their leaders must recognise this,” he said.
Southern Highlands Governor Anderson Agiru was not available for comments last night.
Education Minister James Marape, who is Tari MP, said there could be no claim to the land where the “old” airport was.
Marape said landowners could claim compensation for the land to be taken up for the airport expansion.
“The old airport land has already been purchased, whatever the purchase price was in the past,” he added.
“No one can claim for this. For the land to be acquired for the airport expansion, we will discuss land acquisition with landowners.
“Evaluation and surveying for this and Tari town development is underway by a surveying firm. No one should close the airstrip.
“It’s been operating for 58 years and people should respect it.
“I’m speaking both as an MP and landowner of the town,” Marape said.

Monday, November 01, 2010

North Fly MP wants new Ok Tedi mine extension agreement

North Fly MP Boka Kondra has called for a totally new agreement if the mine life of giant OK Tedi gold and copper mine in the Western province is to be extended from after 2013.
Kondra noted with grave concern that there were some serious outstanding landowner issues that should be addressed properly before the Ok Tedi mine extension.
He highlighted that important issues to be addressed and built into the new agreement should include:
         Proper genealogical survey with full social mapping identifying all landowner tribes in project and affected areas for adequate compensation, royalties and benefit sharing arrangements;
         18% share equity formerly held by Inmet Mining Ltd to be given to an umbrella company representing all local landowner and affected communities; and
         A comprehensive environmental impact mitigation plan with no further disposal of toxic mine waste, tailings and sediments into the already heavily polluted Fly River system.
Kondra said these were pertinent issues that must be addressed fully by Ok Tedi Mining Company, BHP, PNG Sustainable Development Programme, National and Western Provincial Governments and landowners.
"Ok Tedi is an ecological catastrophe," he said.
"There should be no review or 10th Supplement Agreement, but a totally new agreement.
"Failure to do so will fuel existing tensions and landowner concerns.
"My people's concerns must be addressed. If not, the mine must close in 2013 as originally planned."
His comments followed the recent announcement by Ok Tedi Mining Company that it was examining new pollution controls as part of a feasibility study for a seven-year extension of the mine's life.
Ok Tedi mine started producing gold and copper in 1987 and was originally scheduled to close in 2013, but the company was undertaking a feasibility study to push that out to 2022.
The new mine plan would see output reduced by one-third, to around 100,000 tones of copper and 350,000 ounces of gold a year.
Ok Tedi Mining Limited managing director, Alan Breen has said that the new plan would not be the same as current mining operations.
"It's open cut mining which is quite different to what we are proposing in the future," he said.
"The feasibility study that we are currently undertaking would involve the operation of two small underground mines which produce very little waste and an open-cut operation which would produce a significant amount of waste.
"As part of the study though, we are looking at designing and constructing a stable waste rock dump at the mine which would prevent that waste flowing into the river system so quite a substantial change from our current practices."
The extension would create 14 million tones of waste rock.
 Currently waste rock goes into the Ok Tedi River but Breen says he hopes that will change.
"We are looking at designing a stable waste rock dump which would prevent that waste flowing into the river system," he said.
Breen says more engineering work must be done to discover if is the dump is feasible.
Ok Tedi currently generates 20% of Papua New Guinea's gross domestic product.
With big new projects like the PNG LNG project not expected to come on stream until 2014, the extension of Ok Tedi will be an attractive prospect.
Consultations have already begun but Breen says the process has a way to go.
"The process as it currently stands is that our people are currently doing the environmental impact studies and we are well down the track with those, we are probably 75-80 per cent complete on those." he said.
"The next thing we have to do is complete them by the end of October.
"We need to pass this information on to the state and they will have a team of independent advisers who will have a look at the information we have prepared and they will make recommendations and assessments, and provide them to not only government, but the communities.
"On the basis of that feedback, the communities then will have a decision to make on whether or not they can live with those impacts. "
 Breen said the study was to be completed by November 2010.
The company expects to finish consultations with communities and the government by the end of this year.
However, Kondra said in view of the extended mine life, it was imperative for all stakeholders to establish dialogue for a completely new agreement if the mine is to be extended after 2013.