Monday, March 07, 2011

Students nabbled for attempt on policeman's life



SEVEN high school students, facing charges of attempted murder, have been released on K200 bail each, The National reports.

They were among 17 people arrested by Wabag police in Enga over an alleged attempted murder on a member of the police mobile unit based in Laiagam district.

The incident allegedly took place on Feb 17.

Ten other men were released on K500 bail each with their guarantors also ordered to pay K500 each.

Police claimed that the Lanekep tribesmen, living at the edge of Wabag town, attacked First Const Caspar Maugla at the Wabag bus stop with bush knives.

This was in reaction to an incident earlier on during the day when one of their tribesmen was allegedly bashed up by a police mobile unit member during a drunken brawl.

Provincial police commander Supt Martin Lakari said Maugla was attacked while he was waiting to catch a PMV to Laiagam.

The victim sustained cuts to his forehead and parts of his body.

Lakari said bystanders at the bus stop reacted quickly and stopped the villagers from inflicting severe injuries, or possible death, on the policeman.

He said Wabag police also responded quickly and, with the help of bystanders, arrested the suspects and had them locked up in the police cells.

The accused were refused bail until last Friday when they made an appeal to the committal court.

The suspects would appeal in court at the next call-over, which was yet to be confirmed.

While condemning the attack on the policeman, Lakari said higher and stiffer penalties must be imposed  on such people to deter others from doing the same.

He also warned that police would not go easy on people who threaten or attack them, but would ensure their attackers face the full brunt of the law.

Maugla has been discharged from Wabag General Hospital and is recovering at home in Laiagam.



No comments:

Post a Comment