Friday, March 06, 2009

Bloody end

Two suspects shot dead after hold-up




NCD police shot dead two suspects while three others sustained gunshot wounds after a daring daylight robbery at a store in Gordon, Port Moresby, yesterday afternoon, The National reports.

Police recovered one home-made gun after confronting the armed criminals around 3.45pm yesterday.

The bodies of the two suspects were taken to the Port Moresby General Hospital mortuary, while the three injured suspects were admitted to the POMGH emergency ward for treatment.

POMGH yesterday confirmed receiving the bodies of the two suspects, said to be from Kairuku-Hiri and Goilala districts of Central province respectively.

Traffic along the Poreporena Freeway, Boroko Drive and several adjoining roads came to a standstill yesterday for almost an hour as residents and bystanders flocked to the scene to get a closer look, before an ambulance arrived and removed the two bodies and the injured suspects to POMGH between 5pm and 5.30pm.

Police said the suspects had held up staff of Seeto Kui Holdings at Gordon around 3.30pm and took off with the day’s takings from the two cash registers in a stolen white motor vehicle.

Unconfirmed reports said the suspects had carjacked the vehicle of a person attending the funeral of Lady Miaru Amet, wife of ousted Madang governor Sir Arnold Amet, at the nearby Sione Kami Memorial church before proceeding to Seeto Kui to commit the robbery.

Witnesses said the suspects were armed with pistols and a home-made gun when they held up staff at the cashier’s desk.

Workers and security guards at the store swiftly called police.

The police then chased the suspects along Geauta Drive, Gordon.

Police said as the suspects were speeding from the scene, their vehicle collided with an oncoming vehicle.

The suspects then got out from the vehicle and jumped into the Gordon roundabout drain, where police shot dead two of them while the other three sustained gunshot wounds.

NCD metropolitan commander Chief Supt Fred Yakasa last night confirmed that two suspects were dead and three others were admitted to POMGH.

Supt Yakasa said the suspects were in a stolen motor vehicle when they committed the robbery.

However, he said full details of the incident would be available today, including the suspects’ identities and how much money was stolen.

“The public is fed up with lawlessness in the city.

“Police will come down hard on them and that’s the kind of retaliation that happened today (yesterday),” Chief Supt Yakasa told The National last night.

“Enough is enough!” he said.

Supt Yakasa urged unemployed youths to join the team Yumi Lukautim Port Moresby to work and sustain their living in the city.

“Lay down your arms and you must seek those kinds of opportunities to make yourselves useful rather than getting involved in illegal activities,” he said.

Chief Supt Yakasa also urged all citizens to cooperate with police to curb escalating crime in the city.


No comments:

Post a Comment