MP’s son among three killed in post-Origin violence
From The National,
THREE men were killed in
Three men, two of them university students, were beaten and slashed to death at a Five-Mile Settlement. One of the victims was the son of Puri Ruing, the MP for Dei Open in
In Hohola, a man from
His relatives, who live at
At Five-Mile, a grieving Mr Ruing was in shock after learning that his 21-year-old son, Manuel, and nephew Joel Aiwa, also 21, had been murdered at the settlement. The identity of the third deceased could not be ascertained yesterday.
A spokesperson for the family, Geoffrey Kuri, said the two had watched the State of
He said the pair were attacked by a mob of drunkards from the settlement, who slashed them with bush knives and other weapons.
Mr Kuri said the two victims were doing their matriculation studies at the
“Their bodies were mutilated and their heads and other body parts were badly chopped up. It was a barbaric act by the attackers who did not have mercy on another human being’s life,” Mr Kuri said.
The Five-Mile Settlement area has become a notorious place in NCD, where people sell alcohol illegally, residents say.
“Every week a person is being killed in this particular part of the city and this is not the first time.
“We as a family have suffered a double loss,” Mr Kuri said.
Mr Ruing appealed to NCD metropolitan commander, Chief Supt Fred Yakasa, to work round the clock to arrest the perpetrators of the murder who are said to be still at large.
“As a leader in the country, I cannot take the law into my own hands and ask my tribe to retaliate.
“No, let the law take control of the situation.
“Let us respect the law of the land, but police have to act immediately,” Mr Ruing said.
He said there was an alarming breakdown of law and order in the country, and nobody could feel safe anymore.
“The police force alone can’t be blamed for this.
“It is the National Government and all other sectors in the country.
“We have to take a joint approach to solve this very serious problem,” Mr Ruing added.
Dr Sam Yakopua, who is in charge of Accidents and Emergency at the Port Moresby General Hospital, confirmed that they had received the three bodies on Wednesday night.
Dr Yakopua said eight injuries were also reported, one of them very serious.
“It’s ridiculous, these injuries from violence related to the Origin match,” he said.
He confirmed the deaths of the two students from heavy bleeding resulting from knife wounds to the head, limbs and other parts of the body.