Showing posts with label jeffrey nape. Show all posts
Showing posts with label jeffrey nape. Show all posts

Friday, November 05, 2010

Nape: What K30 million?

SPEAKER of parliament Jeffery Nape has hit out at claims that as much as K30 million was paid to him by the government, The National reports.
A statement issued by the speaker’s office said the rumour had been circulating the streets of Port Moresby, and the corridors of the national parliament, in recent months.
The rumour said Nape was given K5 million, some said K12 million and others said K30 million, the statement said.
“Nape does not know anything about such money being made available to him, and does not understand how such malicious rumours could be circulated,” the statement said.
“The office of the speaker categorically denies this rumour and wishes to inform members of parliament and the people of PNG that the rumour is false and malicious in nature.
“This rumour is being perpetrated by some people to discredit the good speaker of parliament for reasons only known to them,” the statement said.
The speaker is currently away on holidays, and could not be reached for comments.
The statement was signed and issued by his second secondary Apa Kua.
Nape would preside over parliament when it resumed in two weeks, and would determine whether or not to allow a notice of a motion of no-confidence in the prime minister to go on the floor.
The prime minister will face a vote of no-confidence if Nape allows the motion through.
The opposition was pushing for this, and was confident the speaker does not have any reason to deny the notice.


Monday, November 01, 2010

Speaker holds key

SENIOR coalition leaders in government are trying to talk Speaker Jeffery Nape into preventing the notice of a vote of no-confidence in the prime minister from being entertained when parliament convenes in two weeks, The National reports.
Sources in Waigani told The National that two senior government leaders visited Nape, who was holidaying in Cairns, Australia, last week.
Nape had been unimpressed by the failure of the government to release funds he had requested to carry out urgent maintenance in parliament since the house rose in July.
A notice of a motion of no-confidence was already with the speaker to remove Sir Michael Somare as prime minister. It named Sir Puka Temu as the alternate prime minister.
“The notice is there, and it is up to the speaker to bring it to the floor to be entertained,” a source said.
“I believe the speaker will allow the vote to take place.”
The opposition does not have the numbers at present, and would have to rely on government MPs breaking ranks to topple the PM. And, if the last sitting was any indication, it could happen.
It was understood the opposition was talking to factions in government, and would likely nominate a highlands MP for prime minister to attract the numbers to remove Sir Michael.
Leader of PNG Party Belden Namah reiterated last night the opposition was committed to removing the Somare-Polye government in this month’s sitting of parliament.
“The opposition is confident of forming the next government so long as the speaker is impartial and does not hijack the democratic and parliamentary processes,” he said.
He said that the people did not believe in the manner in which the country was run by a kitchen cabinet and there was a need for change.
Sir Puka, who travelled with Namah to Vanimo last week for the Bewani oil palm project signing, said the government needed to change with most indicators going backwards.
Also in Vanimo were member for Anglimp-South Waghi Jamie Maxtone-Graham, Markham MP Koni Iguan and member for Telefomin Peter Iwei.