Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Drunks attack MAF flight

Mission Aviation cancels all runs into remote Karimui

 

CHIMBU’S Karimui has been cut off from the rest of the world following an attack and robbery by four drunken men in the district’s airstrip last Friday, The National reports.

The highly intoxicated knife-wielding men attacked the pilot and his passengers after the MAF Twin Otter landed on the remote Karimui airstrip.

Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF), the only third-level airliner operating in Karimui, has suspended its operations indefinitely following the attack.

Passenger and Karimui High School and Lutheran church strongman Isaiah Kamun Yalbai said he tried to stop the drunken assailants from attacking the pilot and was slashed with bush knives.

He turned up at The National office in Goroka yesterday morning to recall his ordeal at the hands of the drunkards.

“I returned from Goroka carrying K2, 000 worth of items, including 300 Bibles, 50 litres of diesel and other items to stage an inter-church denomination gathering to pray for Karimui.

“We believed the district may have been cursed in terms of efficient flow of basic services and the churches, led by Lutheran church, are organising the gathering themed ‘breaking generation of curse proclaiming prosperity and growth’ to be staged from July 5-9,” he said.

“But, we were attacked soon after the plane landed and while we were unloading the cargo. The diesel container was slashed and the diesel spilled and the cargo, including the Bibles, was stolen.

“One of the assailants whom I recognised attacked and when I retaliated, the other armed men slashed me from behind.

“I was cut on the back of my head. Another slashed my hands and arm and I collapsed.

“The pilot rushed up to apply first aid but I fainted due to heavy loss of blood,” he said.

He said: “The pilot and my wife then carried me back into the plane, flew to Goroka and admitted me to the Goroka Base Hospital.”

Yalbai identified two of the assailants-cum-robbers as elementary school teachers.

He said 12 other passengers, who also sustained injuries in the attack, were still in Karimui with no access to medical treatment.

“The assailants are believed to have been frustrated by district officials who failed to settle outstanding payments for work done.

“The police must step up its manpower in Chimbu because law and order is getting out of control. Infants and young girls are being abused as youths get intoxicated by homebrew and marijuana,” he said.

“Health services and schools are closed; Karimui High School is closed,” he added.

Acting provincial police commander Albert Korin could not be reached for comments yesterday as several calls went unanswered.

The MAF office in Goroka yesterday confirmed the indefinite suspension of flights into and out of Karimui until the people of Karimui guaranteed the safety of passengers, pilots and crew.

The MAF source also said it was up to the Karimui community to resolve the matter with the injured and allow law and order to return and guarantee safety before flights could resume.

“For now, flights into Karimui are suspended indefinitely,” the source told The National.

 

 

Government, NARI set for drought

NATIONAL Planning and Monitoring Minister Paul Tiensten said the government is working closely with the National Agriculture and Research Institute (NARI) in preparing for next year’s predicted drought, The National reports.

Scientists warned of the drought during the launch of the National Agriculture Research Institute (NARI) drought preparedness plan in Lae earlier this year.

They predicted that a severe drought would hit PNG in 2011 and 2012 and PNG was ill-prepared for it.

However, Tiensten said the government had taken the warnings seriously and was working on a plan with NARI to prepare for the drought.

“Reports on the plan was nearing completion and would be made available once they are released,” Tiensten said.

He was responding to questions raised in Parliament last week by Morobe Governor Luther Wenge, who had asked what actions under the plan the government would take in addressing the shortage of food and water likely to be faced by the people as a result of the drought.

With the rising sea level and temperatures at our doorstep, due to global warming, scientists have warned that this drought will be more severe than the last one and it is not known how long it will last.

The last drought experienced in PNG was in 1997.

NARI said yesterday that drought preparation was a major priority and that specific considerations had been given to addressing food security and other basic needs including water in areas where this was lacking.

A NARI spokesperson said they were also looking at more appropriate system for managing emergency food distribution including food distributing centres.

 

 

Momis rejects BRDC model

AUTONOMOUS Region of Bougainville President John Momis will order a full investigation into the deal with foreign firm Invincible that led to the establishment of the Bougainville Investment Corporation (formerly Bougainville Resource Development Corporation), The National reports.

Momis said yesterday that the deal was not only illegal but not practical for any government to attempt to make a contract that purports to tie the government’s hands as to future policy.

The president said he was concerned about these matters which strike at the core of Bougainville’s efforts to revitalise and grow the economy.

He said he would seek his cabinet’s approval to launch a full-scale review of this deal and related matters.

Momis said in his inaugural speech that corruption would find zero tolerance in his government.

He warned that corrupt ministers, elected members, officials and investors could expect to face criminal prosecutions.

He said there were many unanswered questions and issues relating to the BRDC and Invincible deal, and the review or investigations would put these questions to rest.

After taking office two weeks ago, and studying documents presented to him concerning the development agreement between the ABG and the BRDC, Momis said he was not satisfied that the arrangement was in the best interest of the people of Bougainville.

He said the agreement contravened significant provisions of the Bougainville constitution and parts of the Bougainville peace agreement and the PNG Constitution.

He said, in essence, the agreement and its corresponding legislation bind the hand of the Bougainville government when it needed to urgently grow the economy and move towards fiscal self-reliance.

Momis said based on the documents provided to him, it seemed that BRDC was a company owned by four other companies or entities, namely:

1. AROB Equities Limited;

2. Bougainville Veterans Holdings;

3. Bougainville Pioneers Corporation Ltd; and

4. Invincible.

He said the agreement, in its substantive clauses, deal with exploration for and exploitation of mineral resources covering the whole of Bougainville.

The agreement also called for investments in other areas of economic activities including a gold melt assay facility, bio-diesel, fishing, cattle production and other proposals including a tourism project.

He said the people of Bougainville would be kept informed of the progress of the review of this deal. 

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Come support our Kids at the Digicel Urban Bounce

Dear All,

Digicel Urban Bounce is back at the Port Moresby Country Club this time. They have a lovely grassy field at the back which is where we've setup for the next 4 weeks. Entry for Heats is FREE and Finals will have a gate fee.

So come along with the whole family for some artistic, acrobatic, urban bouncing.

* Heat 1 & 2 - Sunday, 4th July
* Heat 3 & 4 - Sunday, 11th July
* Semi Finals - Sunday, 25th July
* Grand Final - Sunday, 1st August

Time: 12pm to 4pm.
Food & Drinks sold at the Venue.

Regards,
Emmanuel Narokobi
RokRok Music

FPDA collaborates with other players on seed potato project

 Seed potato mini tubers inside the aphid screen houses in Tambul

By KIAGI NEMA of FPDA 

Fresh Produce Development Agency is partnering with other related organisations in the country to work on the seed potato project.
The FPDA seed potato project has been concentrating its efforts in the highlands provinces, specifically Western Highlands and Eastern Highlands to make available adequate quantities of potato tubers that are certified for planting as seeds.
All this effort is done in partnership with the National Agriculture Research Institute (NARI), which has the expertise in micro‐propagation as well as land for field multiplication.
The other partners include CARE International PNG and Alele Fresh produce,
FPDA entered into an agreement where NARI produces and supplies potato plantlets in a tissue culture laboratory located at Aiyura in the Eastern Highlands.
 
 Plantlets inside containers, ready to be taken out and moved into trays 

FPDA has been receiving 12, 000 plantlets a month from NARI since 2009.
This is following the signing of a new agreement in June 2009 between FPDA and NARI.
The increase in plantlets follows the construction of 12 new screen houses in Tambul, Western Highlands,  which now brings the total number of screen houses to 24.
 In 2004 NARI had an initial agreement with FPDA to supply 2, 000 plantlets per month.
In 2007, FPDA signed a new agreement with NARI for 6,000 plantlets per month due to the renovation of three old screen houses and construction of nine new screen houses.
Plantlets are transported by road to Tambul in the WHP and planted in FPDA’s aphid proof screen houses in trays using sterilised soil.
These plants, once mature, are harvested and the tubers planted out in the field on-station at Tambul.
This partnership is currently going on.
Seeds harvested from Tambul are sold to private sector seed growers.
These growers are divided into two categories of growers and are called mother and certified seed growers.
 Mother seed growers receive generation 1 and 2 seeds and produce generation 2 and 3 seeds.
These are inspected and sold to certified seed growers who produce generation 3 and 4 seeds that are sold to ware growers.
 Only generation 4 seed is sold out for production of ware potatoes.
Meanwhile, in Eastern Highlands, the project also entered into partnership agreement with Care International PNG to implement training for potato production as seed crops.
 Care International PNG is a non-government organisation and has programmes to assist people in the most-disadvantaged areas of PNG.
This agreement was for FPDA seed potato project to provide seeds and technical expertise to three groups of people who have identified their need for income through production of potatoes.
These groups are located at Akuna, Omaura and Sasaura at the back of Yonki dam in Eastern Highlands.
After the initial training and growing of crops by the groups, interest has grown for the crop and another follow-up request was made by the groups through Care international.
This partnership is working very well as resources and expertise is shared for a common goal, and that is to contribute to elevating the lives of the people in disadvantaged areas in PNG.
The project has also entered into agreement with Alele Farm Fresh Produce to provide inspection and certification for its crop planted in its aphid proof screen house for production of potato mini‐tubers for its farmers.
This partnership worked well and all its crops and harvested tubers were physically inspected and certified as clean.
This partnership is on a crop-by-crop basis.

Manus island community promoting self-help

Story and pictures by SOLDIER BURUKA of DAL

The people of M’buke Island in Manus province have been praised for their efforts in initiating several self-help projects.
 M’buke islanders on their traditional outrigger canoes welcome the visitors to the launching
 Director for New Guinea Islands region with the Department of Agriculture and Livestock, Tom Peni, said the M’buke community had shown that hard work, commitment and patience would bring positive results.
 DAL director for NGI, Tom Peni, and other visitors arriving to a typical Manus style welcome on M’buke island

 He commended the villagers for their initiative in establishing a number of integrated self-help projects to bring development to the area and added that it should be regarded as a model for other disadvantaged communities in the province.
 Peni was speaking during an official launching at M’buke last week attended by representatives of various agencies including DAL, National Agriculture Research Institute, PNG Sustainable Development Program, World Wide Foundation and others. M’buke Island, comprising 13 atolls with a population of around 1, 000 and about 98 km from Lorengau town on the mainland, has survived with resilience from natural and environmental hardship with limited government assistance.
 The community through the M’buke Island Peoples Association has secured its own funding to establish or initiate projects on health, food security, conservation, culture and education.
Their commitment has inspired various agencies, private sector, non-government organisations, individuals and others to provide assistance in one way or another.
 DAL food security director Brown Konabe, on behalf of the DAL Secretary Anton Benjamin, launched a solar water pump system funded at a cost of K30, 000, whilst DAL Mamose region director Masayan Moat launched the coconut replanting programme. Other events included the launching of an improved agricultural technologies project implemented by NARI with funding support from PNGSDP, aid post, double classrooms, two outrigger canoes and a scholarship fund.
 In his address, Peni said the M’buke group of islands situated in the south coast of Manus was vulnerable to the effects of land degradation, declining crop yields and food shortages.
Their main livelihoods are mostly based on fishing and trading.
However, the people have mobilised themselves through the association to raise their own funds and initiate development projects.
A lot of effort has been made by the M’buke community living and working in Port Moresby and elsewhere to raise funds.
Peni commended the community for the outstanding work so far and also involving other stakeholders.
This is a classic example of commitment by individuals and groups to commence projects and seek assistance afterwards.
He said others should look at the M’buke concept and introduce it into their communities. Peni said the association objectives were also in line with the government’s policies and strategies and demonstrated how the public-private partnership could work to achieve long-term and sustainable livelihood.
He assured the community that DAL would work closely with the provincial administration to provide technical assistance to support agriculture initiatives.
 Peni said the solar water pump would help in providing water for drinking, which was a major problem faced by island communities.
He urged the community to look after the facilities.
On the coconut replanting, Peni said coconut was a vital commodity and needed to be promoted vigorously as a cash crop and source of food.
He said the M’buke community had taken the lead to replant and rehabilitate senile coconut trees and urged relevant agencies including Kokonas Indastri Koporesen to support the initiatives.
 Village chief Luke Polangou described the launching of not only one but several projects as a wonderful and historical occasion and praised the M’buke community in Manus and Port Moresby for their support and commitment.
He said the efforts were a result of working in partnership to achieve sustainable livelihood for the people.
 He called on relevant agencies to consider the self-help initiatives undertaken by the M’buke community and provide more support.
 One of the guests who travelled from Port Moresby was Dr Neil Stronach, representative of WWF Western Melanesia Programme based in Papua New Guinea, and officiated in the launching of two outrigger canoes; spoke on the need to make wise decisions regarding conservation and protection of the environment.
He urged the people to use their natural resources wisely for the sake of their future generation.
 Dr Stronach and other officials from DAL were taken to a small group of islands known as Purdy islands where the community is planning to make them wildlife protected area due to its rich marine life.
DAL also plans to rehabilitate rundown coconut trees on one of the islands.

Agricultural scientist recognised for long service

Dr John Moxon


By SENIORL ANZU of NARI

A prominent agricultural scientist who has spent his entire professional life in Papua New Guinea for over three decades has been recognised  for his contributions towards agricultural development in the country.
He is Dr John Edwin Moxon, a senior National Agriculture Research Institute (NARI) scientist based at Keravat at the Lowlands Agricultural Experiment Station (LAES).
 Dr John  Moxon receives a gift from a staff member for his long service to LAES Keravat during its 80th anniversary in 2008

Dr Moxon was among those listed on Queen’s Birthday award list last month.
 He will be awarded the Commander of British Empire (CBE) for services to agriculture and to NARI in particular.
The award will be conveyed on July 12.
Dr Moxon is a household name in the Gazelle Peninsula and Rabaul areas of East New Britain. Currently, he is the man behind the development of PNG’s galip nut industry.
This is a new innovation in the making, promising to become a lucrative revenue and income earner for Papua New Guineans for many years to come once the industry gets into full swing. Galip is valued at around US$300 million industry at the world market and grows only in PNG, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu.  
Dr Moxon, 58, from Yorkshire, England, first arrived in the country in 1980 as a young agriculturalist straight after his PhD in Entomology from the Royal Holloway College, University of London.
Upon recruitment by the Department of Agriculture and Livestock, his first posting was in East New Britain at LAES, a place he has lived and worked ever since.
 He started as an entomologist, dealing with pests and diseases of a range of food and tree crops. He led a team of scientists, both expatriates and nationals, in various capacities, including as LAES team leader 1986-1993 with major responsibilities in scientific and administrative management of the farming systems research programme for the wet lowlands of PNG. 
From 1993 to 2000, Dr Moxon worked with the PNG Cocoa and Coconut Research Institute (now PNG Cocoa Coconut Institute) as its chief executive officer.
His work on cocoa resulted in scientific development and commercial release of the first hybrid cocoa clones for PNG now commercially achieving four tonnes dry bean cocoa per hectare, arguably amongst the best-available in the world.
After PNGCCI, Dr Moxon returned to LAES in 2000, this time under NARI as the research programme leader, a job he has held to this date, taking leadership in scientific research for development, focusing on food and cash crop research for food security and income generation for the wet lowlands areas of PNG.
He continues to contribute to the cocoa industry, especially towards the cocoa pod borer pest through strategic management and crop diversification programs.
In 1993, Dr Moxon received a certificate of service from the Government of PNG.
He is married to Wendy from Nonga village in East New Britain province and has three children.