Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Alexander Downer: PNG's woes matter to us

By ALEXANDER DOWNER


I was in New York to brief the United Nations Security Council last week when I saw the ugly scenes from Canberra of our Prime Minister and Opposition Leader being bundled out of a restaurant by security officers protecting them from protesters. This incident made news right around the world. It was embarrassing. All day people were asking me what was going on in Australia.
Imagine my horror when I subsequently discovered that there was a political motive behind the protest: To try to humiliate Tony Abbott! Talk about an own goal! A Labor staffer had to resign and the protesters were seen to be party to a political stunt. But, as I said to my interlocutors, this was just a passing incident which will be well forgotten in a few months.
Just to the north of Australia, something much more serious has been going on. For the last few months, Papua New Guinea has been engulfed by a political and constitutional crisis.
The country has, in effect, had two prime ministers and two governors general. As you can imagine, that's a very untidy situation.
All this goes back to March last year when Papua New Guinea's long-serving prime minister, Sir Michael Somare, had heart surgery in Singapore. In June, his family announced that Somare had retired. However, there was legal uncertainty about how to replace him, uncertainty the parliament tried to resolve by electing the Finance Minister, Peter O'Neill, as Prime Minister in August.
In the meantime, Somare recovered and returned to PNG claiming he was legally still PM. He went to court and in early December the Supreme Court ruled he indeed was. So the Parliament immediately passed retrospective legislation to overturn the Supreme Court decision. But despite the Parliament overwhelmingly supporting O'Neill, the Governor General swore Somare in as Prime Minister.
The Parliament then sacked the Governor General and appointed the Speaker in his place, and he then rescinded Somare's commission and swore in O'Neill as PM.
This seemed to be pretty much the end of it all until last week when a colonel walked into the office of the chief of the defence force and announced he was taking over the army and would restore Somare as prime minister. This horrifying action was quickly overcome as most of the army supported O'Neill.
I think I've got all that right. And it's a test of you to remember all that detail. You don't need to, of course; you just need to get a sense of what's been going on in the nearest country to Australia. When John Howard was Prime Minister of Australia he used to say that his greatest foreign policy worry was that PNG would descend into political chaos. After all, its neighbour the Solomon Islands did, Vanuatu has come perilously close at times and Fiji is run by a dictator who came to power through a coup.
Although I have known Sir Michael Somare for years, my more intense dealings with him started after he was re-elected prime minister in 2002.
In the wake of our intervention in the Solomon Islands in 2003, Howard and I decided we needed to make sure PNG didn't go down the same path as the Solomons. I told Sir Michael we wanted to help improve his police force and public service. There was too much corruption and the police were becoming dysfunctional.
Our proposed new assistance scheme was called the Enhanced Co-operation Program. Let it be recorded Somare resisted this new intervention. He thought it neo-colonial. I told him we were spending $300 million of taxpayers' money a year in PNG and we weren't getting good value for money.
We were worried about where the country was heading. If we couldn't get better value for money by implementing the EPG we would have to wind back our aid substantially.
He caved in. But he never forgave me and was overjoyed when the Howard government was defeated in 2007. Kevin Rudd, he figured, would have to be better for him than Howard and Downer.
Sad to say, but you learn early in life that doing the right thing doesn't always make you popular.
Since late 2007, PNG hasn't featured much in Australian foreign policy. Sure, Australia has set up a committee to get rid of nuclear weapons (it didn't work) and sent aid to help the Arab spring. But we've lost focus on our own neighbourhood and now the most populous country in the Pacific has hit severe political turbulence. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing Australia can do to resolve the current crisis in PNG.
My guess is it will sort itself out and Somare will permanently retire. And so he should. He's been in politics for way too long. He doesn't have anything left to contribute.
But the recent political turbulence in PNG should be a sharp wake-up call in Canberra. We should have seen it coming and helped PNG avoid the crisis which has rocked it to its foundations.
PNG's stability is important to Australia. What is more, the world expects Australia to look after its own neighbourhood. When I became the shadow minister for foreign affairs in early 1995, I made a trip to PNG, including to Bougainville. I'm glad I did.
As minister, it was a country which was at the centre of much of my work. We helped end the Bougainville crisis, we contributed to rebuilding PNG's economy, we fought HIV/Aids there and so the list goes on.
But one thing always struck me. The Australian media and even much of the public had, and still have, very little interest in PNG and the Pacific. That's a pity.
So here's a real message here for Julia Gillard and Kevin Rudd: Look to our immediate neighbourhood, don't just focus on the glamour issues on the other side of the world.

* Alexander Downer was Foreign Affairs Minister in the Howard Government from 1996 to 2007.

Arthur Somare wanted by police

Rumours that Arthur Somare has been arrested with all the action taking place at police headquarters now.
Trying to get more information from my contacts.
Timothy Bonga and Andrew Kumbakor claimed on the midday NBC news that they had been harassed by police since their press conference on Sunday.
My understanding is that Arthur, his Grand Chief father, Bonga, Kumbakor and John Pundari are on the wanted list for allegedly stirring up last Thursday's mutiny.
Police on NBC midday news have denied any knowledge of such threats and intimidation.
 They, however, say investigations into last Thursday's incident at Murray Barracks are continuing and if need be, will include any politicians involved.

Graham Osborne hearing set for Feb 9

THE substantive hearing on the deportation case of Graham Leslie Osborne currently challenged in the National Court will be heard next Thursday, The National reports.
Judge George Manuhu presiding over the case yesterday ruled that the substantive and interim court order hearing be adjourned to Feb 9.
Counsel to Osborne, John Gawi, in absence of state lawyer Tiffany Twivey (believed to be overseas) sought instructions to make the adjournment.
The immigration officials have yet to explain why a National Court order was never complied with when Osborne had tried to re-enter PNG on Jan 16.
Instead officers at the Port Moresby Jackson International airport refused entry by the deported New Zealander upon arrival on a flight from Brisbane via Air Niugini on January 16.   
Despite the court order being served twice on January 13 and 16 respectively to acting chief of immigration Joseph Nobetau prior to Osborne’s arrival.
Osborne who runs a restaurant in Port Moresby was deported last month, after his entry permit was cancelled by acting Foreign Affairs and Immigration Minister Jamie Maxtone-Graham over allegations he meddled in local politics.

Two heads at Customs confuse staff

By JUNIOR UKAHA
EMPLOYEES of the Customs Service are confused over the existence of two commissioners in the organisation since Oct 27 last year, The National reports.
The confusion stemmed from a National Gazette (No.G381), purportedly issued by Governor-General Sir Michael Ogio on Dec 29, recognising a Ray Paul as the acting commissioner of Customs ahead of caretaker commissioner John Pomoso.
The gazette, a copy of which was obtained by The National, stated that Paul was appointed on Oct 27 last year and would act in the position for three months until a substantive appointment was made.
Sources said the appointment superseded Pomoso who was verbally appointed to the office by the National Executive Council on the recommendation of former commissioner Gary Juffa.
The sources said any transactions, agreements and decisions entered into by Pomoso on behalf of Customs “are technically not binding”.
Pomoso acknowledged receiving a copy of the gazette and said the same notice would have revoked his acting appointment.
He said there was only one commissioner (acting) in Customs.
“Customs operations are not affected in any way, and work continues as normal.
“Customs staff have only reacted to the Gazette notice because it states that the acting appointment of Paul is for three months which lapsed last Friday and they are asking who is head of Customs if this is so,” he said.
“I think that is the only part that needs to be clarified and appropriately resolved for Customs, whether Paul can still act in the position after the three-month period lapsed,” he said.
But one senior source said the copy of the gazette on the appointment of Paul was never shown to them until last Friday, a day after Paul’s appointment had lapsed.
A circular released by Paul last Friday, with the Gazette, said in part: “I am deeply humbled to inform all executives, senior managers and staff of Customs that following recommendations by the minister of Public Service, the governor-general has confirmed my acting appointment to the position of the commissioner of Customs.
“Subsequent to this, John Pomoso is, as of 07.45 hours on Jan 27, 2012, now relieved from his recent responsibilities as caretaker commissioner of Customs,” the circular read.
Sources said the Gazette may be flawed because it was supposed to be effected by Ano Pala, who was acting GG between Dec 21 last year and Jan 19.
They said there was confusion among staff and urged the prime minister and NEC to act quickly to rectify the situation.

Man arrested over K4.3million

By JAYNE SAFIHAO
THE executive officer to the Madang MP Buka Malai has been arrested and detained for allegedly swindling K4.25 million from the National Planning office, The National reports.
Detectives who are part of the Task Force Sweep team in Madang said Zebedee Jabri Kalup, from Siar village, had been charged with six counts of misappropriation and false pretence.
The charges stem from the misappropriation of K2.5m which was paid to his private business account, Zenalis Waterfalls Ltd.
It was revealed that the money was for the rehabilitation of the Sitepra Cocoa Estate, in the Kamba area of North Ambenob.
Block holders of Muruan Cocoa Produce and Marketing fronted up at the town police station last Friday to express their disappointment over the manner in which Kalup duped them on several occasions by telling them that the money had “yet to come”.
Kalup had received the money in March last year, a month before having a meeting with the selected block holders who went to his house in Siar.
Village recorder and spokesman for the group, Jack Murphy said they had been conned into clearing bush and left forever waiting for the promised help and funding that “never eventuated”.
In addition, Kalup was charged with misusing K1 million funding, cheque dated March 2, 2011.
The money was paid into Zenalis for an unidentified agriculture project for the district.
And another final payment of K750,000 was paid to his company account two months later for Sea Freight Boat Building maintenance.
Inspections and site visits by the Sweep team uncovered many irregularities.
Zenalis is a company that does not have a properly established office but has business interests in Alotau, where one of his wives is from.
In a separate matter, Kalup is being investigated for the misuse of K700,000 which was supposed to be paid to the Madang District Treasury office for the rehabilitation of the Madang Cocoa and Coconut rehab project. The money was paid out in 2008 and 2009.
He is charged with misuse and obtaining money under false pretence in another separate matter for K500,000.00 from National Planning. That case is before the Waigani committal court.
Sweep team director, Anthony Gitua commended his men for a job well done

Dame Carol Kidu is a breath of fresh air

By REG RENAGI

I predict that by next month, we will have a new Parliamentary Opposition Leader in the only woman MP we have in parliament, Dame Carol Kidu.
This is her statement on the last 72 hours of recent events in Port Moresby: "That's the problem of being the only woman in PNG politics - you can't compete with the big boys and their guns."
  Last Saturday, Dame Carol, a long-time loyal Somare minister, disassociated herself from the Somare side, declaring herself horrified at its support of the mutiny.
Well done Dame! I have the greatest of respect fpor you at the very point in time.
A very good move now in light of what is happening in PNG politics!
Please take charge of our Opposition in Parliament. The people will support you at this juncture because you will no doubt bring back some semblance or good order and disciplined governance in Parliament  (and the government) before PNG goes to the national general elections by mid-year.

Contractors help in recovering bodies

LNG operators and contractors are assisting the SHP provincial disaster office and the national disaster and emergency services in Port Moresby with rescue and resettlement activities, The National reports.
It follows the massive landside near the Hides gas fields last week.
The Hides Gas Development Corporation last Friday donated 48 buckets with water purifiers, extra large tarpaulins, windup torches, medical supplies and food rations.
The company is expected to beef up its assistance once they received a full report from the SHP provincial disaster and the NDES.
The companies are also awaiting the disaster team to advise on the next step.
The provincial disaster team is headed by Martin Pat and includes the provincial police commander Supt John Anawe, NDES Officers Andrew Oaege and Elizabeth Michaels of the Department of Mineral Policy and Geo-hazard Management.
A disaster report has been submitted to the NEC but the mutiny case stopped the NEC from deliberating on the report last week.