A second judge of Papua New Guinea's Supreme Court has been arrested on charges of sedition as police call for an end to political tensions.
Justice Nicholas Kirriwom was arrested at Waigani national court today.
It is understood he was quietly led by police into his chambers, where he is now being interviewed.
Police spokesman Dominic Kakas said Justice Kirriwom, one of three judges who ruled today for a second time that Sir Michael Somare is the nation's legitimate prime minister, is likely to be charged with sedition.
"He's being arrested and interviewed," Kakas said.
"He will be charged with sedition."
Today's ruling is disputed because two judges - Deputy Chief Justice Gibbs Salika and Justice Bernard Sakora - abstained on ethical grounds.
Justice Kirriwom is also believed to be the author of an email allegedly sent in February to other judges in which he referred to the government of Prime Minister Peter O'Neill as illegal.
Government MPs have claimed this as proof of bias against them.
The arrest comes days after Deputy Prime Minister Belden Namah rushed into court backed by members of his police security detail and demanded the arrest of Chief Justice Sir Salamo Injia on similar charges.
That sparked a tense stand-off between police officers at Parliament House on Friday, with one group refusing to allow a special sitting until after the June election.
It is yet to be determined whether charges will be laid against a third member of the bench, Justice Les Gavara-Nanu.
The police high command is now calling for an end to the political stalemate between O'Neill, the parliamentary-elected prime minister, and Somare, the former prime minister.
Assistant Police Commissioner Francis Tokura said: "The political stalemate clearly points to a case of individualism and ego.
"Individuals are using their positions, authority and the offices they hold to wage sinister and personal vendettas against each other and are using the police for their own gains."
Tokura played a key part in negotiating a peaceful settlement with the police officers who barricaded parliament.
"I am certain the country is fed up with (the) political mud-pelting and these influential people should stop this nonsense and reconcile for the good of this nation," he said.
"People of this country are going to the polls and they expect the police to concentrate on their fundamental roles and responsibilities of ensuring that the election is uninterrupted by violence and crime."
Tokura's comments come as little surprise, as officers in various positions within PNG's chronically underfunded police force complain of the division and uncertainty caused by the political strife.
One of the men barricading parliament spoke passionately and intensely about God and said he wanted an end to the tensions stirred by the nation's leaders.
"We want an election and a new government - this is tearing us apart," said the officer, who called himself Chris.
Another high-ranking officer said the ongoing strife between political leaders was causing confusion in the rank and file and made it harder for police to do their job.
"Bradda (brother), sometimes we don't know where to go," he said.
It was the same bench of the Supreme Court which ruled in December last year that Somare was the nation's constitutional PM, four months after parliament voted 70-24 to dump him.
That sparked a crisis that culminated in a failed mutiny sparked at the request of the Somare-led cabinet. Only about 30 military personnel supported the mutiny attempt.
Parliament is expected to resume tomorrow.
It is understood that if enough MPs can be enticed back from their rural electorates to bring together the required 37 to form a quorum, the government will introduce formal legislation on the state of emergency declared last week.
PNG is scheduled to go to the polls in late June.