Another newcomer on the
Way to go Daniel, and I’d like to see more such bloggers emerge from every nook and cranny in our diverse, beautiful and exotic country.
We bloggers can make a change in
Another newcomer on the
Way to go Daniel, and I’d like to see more such bloggers emerge from every nook and cranny in our diverse, beautiful and exotic country.
We bloggers can make a change in
Issued by the APEC Business Advisory Council (ABAC)
Earlier this week, ABAC members met with WTO Ambassadors and Director-General Pascal Lamy in
While business generally supports the multilateral process and the WTO, explains Tony Nowell, ABAC Liberalization Working Group Chairman, scepticism has been steadily rising because of the widening gap between rhetoric and action.
Conversely, he says, support has been growing for the establishment of a Free Trade Area of the Asia-Pacific (FTAAP). APEC Leaders have instructed officials to develop specific recommendations for moving forward on an FTAAP, an idea espoused by ABAC since 2006.
“While an FTAAP and the WTO are not incompatible – both will go on regardless of the outcome of Doha – it does take away focus on the Doha Round and forces business to adapt to new challenges that the WTO has yet to consider. There is real danger that the WTO’s relevance may be questioned if it is not in a position to have any influence on these issues – particularly now that the supply chain business model has become the norm.”
According to Teng Theng Dar, Chairman of ABAC 2009, the APEC Leaders’ Meeting in Singapore in November may be a golden opportunity to declare a commitment to complete the Round on time, given the presence of Leaders of economies that account for almost half the world’s trade and including the USA, China and Japan.
“With the global economic recovery still fragile and business and consumer confidence still unstable, any signal, whether positive or negative, is going to be magnified in its impact. It is therefore critical that the news coming out of
The message that ABAC heard in
“We are told that completion of the Round by 2010 is indeed possible but that several things will have to happen within a relatively short period of time. In terms of the process itself, all technical issues should be settled by late this year. On the substantive issues of the negotiations, it seems that movement from the major players – particularly the
Incoming ABAC Chair Gempachiro Aihara, said that the while the new Japanese government has yet to unveil its economic and trade policies, past experience suggests that these policies will favour positive engagement with the global economy. He expressed optimism that, as host of APEC in 2010,
ABAC was created by APEC Leaders to provide a business perspective on regional economic integration. Members are appointed by the Leaders of each APEC member economy.
For more information, please contact:
Mr. Martin Yuoon, ABAC Executive Director 2009 at (+65) 6827 6886 or at mkhyuoon@sbf.org.sg
Mr. Antonio Basilio, ABAC Secretariat (+63-2) 845 4564 or at abacsec@pfgc.ph
Ms. Tran Bao Ngoc, APEC Secretariat (+65) 6891 9616 or at tbn@apec.org
Antelope 2 appraisal well confirms extent of reef reservoir
PORT MORESBY, October 15, 2009: INTEROIL Corporation today announced that drill stem test (DST) Number-1 in the Antelope-2 well at Upper Purari River in Gulf Province tested natural gas and condensate at a rate of 14.1 million cubic feet of gas per day with 16.5 barrels of condensate per million cubic feet.
The test was conducted in the open hole interval from 6,011 feet (1,832 meters) to 6,175 feet (1,882 meters) through a 35/64 inch choke with flowing tubing pressure of 2,070 pounds per square inch.
The gas flow rate was significantly limited by the 3/4 inch downhole DST equipment.
Prior to initiating DST Number-1, the well was cored from 6,057 feet (1,846 meters) to 6,175 feet (1,882 meters) and 117.5 feet (35.8 meters) of 4 inch core was successfully recovered (99.4%
recovery).
“We believe that the core sampling indicated very good visual porosity and vugs (small to medium sized cavities inside the core) from the reefal reservoir,” stated Mr Phil Mulacek, chief executive Officer of InterOil.
“We believe that the core demonstrates excellent visible porosity and the core sample closely resembles the reservoir quality demonstrated by the flow test at Antelope-1.
“In addition, the DST and core confirms the presence of reefal dolomitisation 345 feet higher than expected and 2.23 miles from the Antelope-1 well.”
The primary objectives of the Antelope-2 well are to:
For further in formation please contact
Susuve Laumaea
Senior Manager Media Relations InterOil Corporation
Ph: (675) 321 7040
B-Mobile: (675) (7) 684 5168 /Digicel: (675) 72013870
Email: susuve.laumaea@interoil.com or at slaumaea@digicelpacific.blackberry.com
By BURI GABI of The National, Papua New Guinea's No. 1 daily newspaper
ANY competition starts with everyone wanting to win the title at the end, and the 2009 bemobile Cup is no exception.
NGIP Agmark Gurias team manager Ted Vere said this as his team prepares to play Toyota Enga Mioks in the bemobile Cup rugby league grand final at the Lloyd Robson Oval in Port Moresby on Sunday.
“I directed my boys to win all the seven home games at the ‘graveyard’ at the Kalabond rugby league ground in Kokopo, and at least win four away matches to secure a finals spot in the cup battle,” Vere said,
“But my boys have done extremely well to secure the first grand finals, and to add the icing, claiming the minor premiership tag for this year.
“Our aim now is to take home the cup to Rabaul to our rugby league-loving fans.”
The Gabagaba, Central province man, has adopted well in his new job and has successfully helped steer the Gurias into yet another grand final.
In 2005, the Gurias took the then SP Cup to Kokopo after defeating the Brian Bell Bulldogs from Port Moresby.
This year’s grand final appearance is the talk of Kokopo, with die-hard fans wanting nothing than the return of PNG rugby league’s Auld Mug to the land of tubuans, dukduks and volcanoes.
Hence the Gurias wanting nothing nothing less than to stand on the victory dais come Sunday.
“The victory is for our sponsors, the people of New Guinea Islands, and families of the dedicated players in the squad who have been together over last 14 weeks,” Vere said confidently.
Coach Michael Marum and Vere have been working extra hard over the last two weeks to get the boys together and bolster them to claim the bemobile cup.
The Gurias are not treating this game as anything special and are doing their normal preparations.
Vere says for for the Gurias to win, it will be a team effort from all 17 players and the big guns Diyon Aiye, George Moni, Kot Kerua, and Rodney Pora.
Rolly Matalau, Boas Ruru, Pidik Tongap, Channel Aquila and sneaky hooker Sakias Kambange are others who will be counted on.
“All our fans have been telling us to win this Sunday because both our U16 and U19 NGI teams have won this year’s zone titles, and to finish the year on the high note, it is the senior team who must claim the bemobile Cup competition,” Vere said.
He’s says it’s a big ask but the Gurias will be out to do the job.
By BURI GABI of The National, Papua New Guinea's No. 1 daily newspaper
THE pride of Enga, Toyota Mioks, want nothing less than the bemobile Cup when they take on bitter rivals Agmark Gurias in the bemobile Cup grand final at the Lloyd Robson Oval in Port Moresby on Sunday.
Mioks’ Captain Courageous David Ako is determined to win for the people of Enga, major sponsor Ela Motors and diehard supporter and Enga Governor Peter Ipatas.
This is despite the myriad of controversies which have beset the team this year.
“We been sleeping and eating together at the Sopas Adventist centre over the last 14 weeks, despite the controversial issues that affected the team and the camp,” he said.
“I’ve told my boys to play rugby league and give back the best results to the people of Enga.
“Let the board and management deal with those issues.”
He said his players had stood together as a despite despite all the setbacks.
Sunday’s game will be a repeat of the 2000 grand final in which the Mioks rode roughshod over the Gurias.
The men from the land of tubuans, dukduks and volcanoes look the have the more-experienced side with seasoned campaigners George Moni, Rodney Pora, Chris Purkikil, Chanel Aquila and Lasan Marabe leading the pack.
Ako is banking on the raging bull David Loko, Timothy Clement, Jonah Mackey, Miok Anjo and creative halfback Mose to lead by example.
With PNG Resident Kumuls halfback Mai Tom and regular five-eight James Meninga back from injury, the Mioks will prove a hard nut to crack for the Gurias.
“It’ll all boil down to defence, which has been a key aspect of our recent victories, as well as ball control,” Ako said.
“We’ll be giving it our all to take the bemobile Cup back to Enga.”
By STELLA BITA of bemobile
“It was a challenge not knowing what we were going into but good support from the previous sponsors and the national community helped pull us through the year.”
This was the response by bemobile’s deputy CEO John Papazian (pictured) on the first year of sponsorship by bemobile for the bemobile Cup.
The bemobile cup will finally come to a close for the year 2009 on Sunday, Oct 18, after the grand final match between Rabaul’s Agmark Gurias and the Enga’s Toyota Mioks.
This comes after 18 challenging weeks of co-ordinating bemobile Cup games held in four main centres of the country.
But for bemobile, this first year of sponsorship, though challenging, was a great learning opportunity for both the management and the staff of the mobile company.
“The bemobile cup competition is one that is growing from strength to strength,” Mr Papazian said.
“The sponsorship by bemobile enabled the competition to become a flagship event, hence, promoting bemobile provincially and regionally.
“All in all it was great learning opportunity.”
bemobile’s move to sponsoring the cup was based on a more family-oriented perspective.
bemobile, as the major sponsor, had the intention of making the games more family-oriented with rugby league one of the most-liked sports in the country.
bemobile’s chief commercial officer, Chris Raps, says bemobile is still looking into means and ways of improving and encouraging crowds, particularly families, at the bemobile Cup games.
“Sport, basically any sport, is a social and economical tool for the country, but we here at bemobile have opted to sponsor rugby league as it seems to have a great impact in PNG,” he said.
The bemobile cup competition was launched on June 4, 2009, at the Lamana Gold Club in
The competition began on June 21, 2009, with a match between the two city Teams, CIVPAC Vipers and Masta Mak Rangers, at the Lloyd Robson Oval.
The Official kick off was performed by bemobile board chairman, Anthony Smare (pictured).
Matches were also played in Lae, Goroka and Wabag.
With this year’s competition over and done with, bemobile is hopeful to put into action what they have learnt throughout the first year of sponsorship and make the bemobile Cup competition bigger and better next year.