Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Kerevat National High School to remain open

Keravat National High School will remain open for the 2012 school year and its past administrative discrepancies will be investigated, says Prime Minister Peter O’Neill.
“Closure of the school is not an option,” O’Neill said today. 
“Our government will not allow our young people to be denied grades 11 and 12 education at Kerevat. “Our government has introduced a free and subsidised education policy that must benefit all school children starting this year.
“I have directed the Minister for Education to keep the school open and have it restored to its former glory after necessary investigations are made into the school’s past maladministration and mismanagement of its development and rehabilitation funds.”
He said Education Minister Theo Zurenuoc had been directed to establish an investigation into mismanagement of the school and misapplication of its development and rehabilitation funds over the last five years.
“I have also directed that a new principal be appointed for the school and its existing governing board be suspended and replaced by an interim board to facilitate the investigations,” O’Neill said.
He said the investigation would also evaluate the scope of national government funding required to redevelop the school.
He said the deliberate intervention was made to rescue the school from eminent closure due to rundown condition of classrooms and dormitories.

No comments:

Post a Comment