|The church in May 2018.~Malum Nalu|
The church, built in its present form in 1933 (until renovated in 2005), is the only pre-war building in Lae and the timberwork used to bear many bullet scars (until renovated).
During the war, it served as a Japanese hospital when its custodians from Butibam village fled into the foothills on the far side of the Busu River.
A bush material chapel was built at Ampo in 1912 by pioneer German missionary, Gottfried Schmutterer, and the first baptism took place on October 20, 1912.
Timber from Bukawa was put on the ship Bavaria and brought to Lae on Feb 11, 1933.
They started building the church on March 4, 1933, with dedication being on Oct 8, 1933.