Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Police move into Unitech

Eastern Highlands students studying at the University of Technology waiting in front of the Yanepa building for Governor Malcolm Kela-Smith to present their petition yesterday.

Sepiks turn on students from other provinces

THE University of Technology, despite further intimidation and threats by provincial groups against each other, is assuring safety and appealing to students to return to classes next Monday, The National reports.
The administration said last night that it had also beefed up security with more police presence at the Taraka campus.
Police have been given orders to arrest and charge anyone breaking Unitech rules and regulations and disrupting peace.
On Monday night, Sepik students searched all lodges and dormitories and attacked students from other provinces.
University workers said the Sepiks had retaliated following an attack by Western Highlands students late in the afternoon.
Police were forced to fire warning shots into the air to disperse the unruly group, an academic said.
The Sepik students continued the threats and intimidation yesterday morning and attacked a Central student in front of the union canteen at midday.
Students said the Sepiks were attacking anybody “who is not a Sepik”.
They said the Sepiks were angered when they learnt of a discussion on Monday night by all other provincial groups. They viewed the meeting as collusion to team up against them.
“They thought that everyone is against them,” the students said.
In Goroka, Unitech students from Eastern Highlands yesterday petitioned Governor Malcolm Kela-Smith to assist them to return to complete their studies.
The students fled the Taraka campus last weekend along with other highlands students in fear of attack from Sepik students following a clash that resulted in a death.
President of the Unitech Eastern Highlands Students Association Solomon David petitioned Kela-Smith in front of the Yanepa provincial government building yesterday.
The students called for maximum security to be provided for them to return and complete the remaining five weeks of their academic year.
They also called for financial assistance for transport and political intervention to address the current situation on campus.
The students claimed that the university’s senior management had failed to deal with the problem, resulting in a death, injuries and chaos.
In Mt Hagen, Western Highlands students said they were not involved in the clash.
They said the fight was between the Chimbu and Sepik students, and no Western Highlander had part took in it.
The National, yesterday, reported that the Sepik students were angry that a Western Highlands student, known to them, was instrumental in the fight at the student mess.
The fight reportedly began after a Sepik student was assaulted at the university gates at Taraka.
Meanwhile, Enga students who boarded a PMV bus from Lae to Wabag were allegedly attacked along the Highlands Highway last weekend.
First-year student Terry Kandiu said they were attacked and robbed at Kindeng, but they did not know who the attackers were and why they were attacked.
Police in Mt Hagen confirmed that they had received reports of the incident but had not made any arrests.


  1. 35 years of Independence and this kind of internal racism is still rife and these students are the future of PNG...

  2. Indeed very sad after 35 years of independence, Steve.