Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Wartoto fails transfer bid


THE Waigani District Court has dismissed an application by Kokopo businessman Eremas Wartoto to have his case on allegations of misappropriation transferred to Kimbe or Kokopo, The National reports.
Magistrate Cosmas Bidar said although the reasons for requesting the transfer were based on the cost of travel by the defendant, it was not convincing.
He said Wartoto was a regular business traveller and owner of a number of companies and should not find it difficult in having the case heard in Waigani.
The court also dismissed a verbal application by the police prosecutor to issue a warrant of arrest for Wartoto on allegations that he had left the country and produced an unstamped medical report from a hospital in Cairns.
Bidar ruled that the police brief was not ready and a warrant of arrest would not be issued without proper evidence in court.
Bidar directed Wartoto’s lawyer to obtain medical reports from his client.
It was found that Wartoto was in Cairns for medical treatment after suffering hypertension and being seriously fatigued.
An affidavit had been filed in court that medical advice to Wartoto required him to be in treatment for 30 days.
Wartoto is alleged to have misappropriated about K10 million.
An additional charge of misappropriation of K1.9 million is being investigated.
The findings will be incorporated into the police briefs.
Wartoto is expected to make his appearance in court on Dec 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment